Monday, July 16, 2007

a parent tries and helps with fight

Ronda Berkowitz is an unhappy mom.
Her daughter is about to enter McKinley Middle School in Racine, where the powers-that-be are planning a uniform policy that, Ronda says, could violate her daughter's civil rights.
"I believe that it really is against my child's civil rights," she told the Racine paper. "They should be able to express who they are
I called Ronda to see what color haircloth shirt or straitjacket Racine officials plan to torture the children with.
Ronda says her understanding is that navy, black or tan pants would be required; no sweats or jeans. Shirts would have collars, although turtlenecks would be allowed, too. They could be red, white, navy or gray.
Girls, she thinks, could also wear skirts or capris or shorts.
It also appears that parents will be able to opt their own child out, although what that means exactly isn't clear. All of this was very good news to me because, I told Ronda, I am one of the millions of people who was forced to wear a real uniform - blue pants and white shirt - when I was a kid, and I never even realized until now that my rights had been violated, or that I'd even been slightly aggrieved.
Now I find myself hoping not only that it was a big aggrieving that happened to me, I am also hoping that the statute of limitations has not run out.
I plan, moreover, to contact all the kids from my class. Maybe we can have a "class action."
The same day Ronda was in The Journal Times, after all, there was a story in the Telegram & Gazette in Worcester, Mass., which happens to be where my mom grew up.
The story was all about a guy, David Jackson, who sued for $1 million and maintained that his civil rights were violated because the canteen at the prison where he resides sold him a pair of defective shower shoes.
Jackson didn't get the million, according to the paper, but he did get $3.07 plus 43 cents in interest from a judge.
I figure if my family had stayed in Worcester I could be rich right now, or at least not always barefoot in the shower.
Ronda, when I talked to her over the weekend, said she will not sue.
But she really does believe that making a kid wear a uniform is a civil rights violation.
She used the example of a kid who likes to wear soccer garb.
"Should I have him not wear his soccer stuff, which is his identity and part of him?" she asked me.
"They should be able to proudly display their accomplishments and that is, to me, part of their civil rights."
Ronda, in fairness, has a whole litany of problems with the school's approach to the issue. She doesn't believe it's being legally implemented, for instance. She doesn't like the possibility of taxes being used to fund uniforms for economically disadvantaged students.
But mostly, it seems, she just really, really dislikes the idea of uniforms.
"I totally disagree with school uniforms," is the way she put it, "totally disagree."
"Basically, they should be able to express themselves within guidelines, and a uniform does not allow them to do that."
What a uniform does, actually, is force kids to express themselves in different - some would say more important - ways.
Not that I'll admit it in my civil rights complaint.


I learned a lot from this article i think the mother shouldn't fight though because she is challenging a school and she will not win.

3 comments:

Brown Bear said...

Intersting story. I hate uniforms, and would never want to attend a scholl that has them. Though it is wrong for students to have to wear them, I do have to agree with you. This mother is wasting her time, and sould just put up with the dumb new rule as aposed to fighting a loseing battle.

Ryan250x said...

I dont necessarily think that a school imposing a rule about wearing uniforms is a violation of rights. In addition this is not the first school to require uniforms and if it is that big of a deal to have to wear one that you will sue, why not just go to a different school?

theyellingqueen said...

I also don't think that the school is violating the kid's rights. In a way uniforms will make things easier for them because they don't have to worry about picking clothes. Then they can study more and it will become one less thing they have to worry about. At the same time I understand that being about to choose what you want to wear can help you express yourself.