Wednesday, July 18, 2007

south pasadena blogs

I kind of chuckled when I saw the phrase "downtown revitalization" used in both of these articles. Granted, I am excited about the fact that the city is intentionally setting out to liven up the Mission West district. But I previously lived in Houston, where revitalization meant a radical overhaul of the downtown area: a new light rail, new streets, numerous buildings refurbished and occupied, and an upsurge of lofts and nightlife in the area. In other words, truly new life in a largely dead and abandoned area.One thing I was impressed by is that the city sent out a questionnaire asking residents about what developments they would like to see in town. I don't remember getting this, although I quite easily could have overlooked it or thought it was junk mail. 1,000 people did reply so it seems that the city has a strong community voice to take into account on the matter. I guess I'm impressed because they apparently didn't just hand over the whole project to an outside developer.I am no expert on the matter. I guess I'm thinking out loud and trying to get a better grasp on community planning issues with the hope that one day I might settle in South Pasadena. One of the articles mentioned that most of the businesses on Mission are currently family-owned. As much as I would appreciate new amenities nearby, I hope that the city is careful not to completely turn over the dowtown area to corporate interests.Here is the city's website devoted to the future of downtown South Pas. I haven't had a chance to read the official Framework for Downtown Development, which seems to clearly outline the city's plans. The website emphasizes the city's desire for the community to be involved every step of the way:
A crucial part of this process is community participation. The Commission is committed to creating opportunities for public involvement so that anyone who wants to learn more about or provide feedback to the process can do so.




i read about how a guy came to south pasadena and he found out they wanted to modernize south pasadena. I hope they don't change too much.

6 comments:

MrAustin said...

You definitely need to ask the City Manager about city growth and development.

Brown Bear said...

That sounds pretty good. Though a problem, similar to the one we read about, might arise if the family owned bussness do not want to sell there property. I know we all live in a year, but it would be cool to come back to a new south pas.

theyellingqueen said...

I think this is great. It might be good for our town make it upbeat and modern. But what will happen to the family run businesses? What if we do have corporate stores here and drives out the family businesses? they should have a voice in this too.

soosie said...

I don't like the idea that some dude is hired to modernize or renovate south pasadena. South Pasadena has a lot of tradition and history.

DrPepper6pk said...

I think only certain things can be renovated. There are centuries of history in the South Pas. Library and middle school, lets not change that. Certain spots on Fair Oaks sreet like the Rialto Theater and the Fair Oaks Pharmacy also should not be touched

Unknown said...

Seriously, like what drpepper6pk said! A lot of the places here in South Pasadena give off the whole "I'm a natural city" feeling. If they take that away, South Pasadena would be like any other city. It wouldn't be different with the old Rialto Theater and vintage Fair Oaks Pharmacy and everthing else on mission street!